ALRIGHT BOYS, BRING THAT FAKER IN!

Friday 24 June 2011

Attempted theft...

To briefly explain what's happened:
Crowther has been using an image of a painting by an Australian Aboriginal artist, Malcolm Maloney Jagamarra, to advertise her Australian trip.
The painting is worth over $6000 Aus. The use of the image is protected by Aus copyright laws.
Commercial Australian indigenous art is one of the few industries where Australian aborigines see a decent profit. There is an Indigenous Art Code set up to protect the rights of aboriginal artists to fair trade.
I find it ironic that she may be running into even more trouble by appropriating commercial work...

Here is a copy of the email correspondence I have been having with Sabine Haider, Vice President of the Aus Indigenous Art Trade Assoc and Director of Central Art:

Dear Sabine Haider,

I am writing to you to alert you to the use of one of your artist's paintings on the website of 'Kiesha Crowther, Little Garandmother'. If she or her representatives have permission to use your images, I apologise unreservedly and ask you to ignore this email.
The reason I query whether she has permission to use the image is because she has previously misappropriated traditions from northern american indigenous cultures, and been the subject of their protests.

You can find your artist's (Malcolm Maloney Jagamarra) image on the following two links:

http://littlegrandmother.net/EVENTSCALENDAR.aspx

http://littlegrandmother.net/AUSTRALIANWORKSHOP.aspx

Again, if she has permission to use this image I apologise. Her history with indigenous cultures has led me to suspect she may not...

Regards,
Catherine


Dear Catherine

Thank you very much for the alert. NO permission has been granted. Gee, this makes me mad. Thank you once again. Hopefully the person will remove this immediately otherwise I will require to inform Viscopy.

Regards
Sabiné Haider
Director
Central Art
* Vice President - Australian Indigenous Art Trade Association
* Signatory to the Indigenous Code of Conduct



Dear Sabine,
thanks for letting me know.
I belong to a website called NewageFrauds and Plastic Shamans, whose aim is to protect indigenous cultures from misappropriation/exploitation.
We are collecting information about Crowther to raise awareness of her activities.
I havent mentioned the name of your artist or yourself on the forum, although I have stated that I suspect she has used an image without permission.
Is it alright with you if I make this information public?

regards,
Catherine


Dear Catherine
Please do. I work very closely with Copyright Australia and Aboriginal Artists Agency Anthony Wallis who is currently away overseas. Anthony would know exactly what we should do. Please let me know if I can help or assist with getting the word out. Perhaps Art Trade can assist as well. I have been so angry and even more so when one cannot contact the person.

Sabiné Haider
Director
Central Art
* Vice President - Australian Indigenous Art Trade Association
* Signatory to the Indigenous Code of Conduct


Dear Catherine
Here I am again requiring your help. I cannot find any contact details for this person. Apparently so busy she is unable to answer any emails. Can you help me.
Regards
Sabiné Haider


Dear Sabine,
I wish I could give you contact details for Kiesha Crowther- I would imagine that there are a number of people trying to find her!
All I can tell you, is that in the past year, she has deeply offended various indigenous tribes in America, by claiming to be their 'shaman' and by offering her version of some of their most sacred ceremonies for sale. Following strong protests over the internet from Lakota people, and the publishing of official statements from the Elders of the Salish tribe and a Mayan Elder, and following the circulation of an article written by a Dr Carroll on her fraudulence, she removed her claims re her 'indian connection' from her website. Chapters of the AIM (American Indian Movement) have recently been protesting her appearances in the USA. I suspect that she hopes to find an audience removed from all of this in Australia.
Regarding her website, Crowther has removed material that she had no right to in the past, once it got too 'hot'. I would hope that if she receives emails from yourself, on behalf of your agencies and referring to Copyright Australia, she would remove the image immediately. If not, I'm not sure how one would find her- unless you were able to trace her once she got to Australia in June.
I'll put details of my correspondence with you on the NAFPS (NewAgeFrauds and Plastic Shamans) website. It may be that someone has further ideas re action you can take.
You can find us at http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php
kind regards
Catherine

Welcome Ms Wilma

I checked KC site and the artist's work has been taken down.

Thanks to you:)

All that $$$ and too cheap to use an i stock image- Geez!

SS



No comments:

Post a Comment